The World War II Foundation selected Major “Dick” Winters of Easy Company as a symbol of leadership. This monument honors the combat leadership of the American troops during Operation Overlord.
Located along the strategically important road between Utah Beach and Sainte Marie du Mont. The sculpture of Winters leads in the direction of the upcoming battles.
This monument is the last to have been inaugurated at Utah Beach, on June 6, 2012.
On June 6, 1944 the majority of Allied troops initially arriving on the Normandy beaches landed in one of two craft: the British Landing Craft Assault (LCA) or the American Landing Craft, Vehicle, Personnel (LCVP). In fact, some 1,089 LCVPs took part in D-Day.
Developed by Andrew Jackson Higgins in 1941, the LCVP was built by Higgins Indiustries in New Orleans. The Higgins Boat carried up to 36 troops, was capable of up to 12 knots and could be outfited with a pair of Browning M1919 machine guns. The boats were crewed by four personnel.
By the time of the Normandy Landings the LCVP had been used in every theatre of operations including Operation Torch in North Africa, landings in Italy and in Southern France. It was also used in the Pacific theatre.
This memorial to Higgins, his boats, and the men who rode ashore in them has been given to the people of France by the citizens of Columbus, Nebraska, the birthplace of Andrew Jackson Higgins. The memorial here is a replica of a memorial built in Columbus in 2001, and is also a celebration of partnership between Columbus and Sainte Marie du Mont… two communities tied together by history and a heritage of freedom.
This monument honors all American troops who participated at Utah Beach. The plot of land where the monument is erected was donated to the United States in perpetuity by the village of Sainte Marie du Mont.
The monument was dedicated on June 6, 1984 by General Lawston Collins in the presence of the seven Allied heads of state during the ceremonies commemorating the 40th anniversary of D-Day.
This monument was erected with the contributions of the men from the Brigade themselves. The monument reflects Caffey’s insistence that the Brigade must leave a permanent reminder of their work before departing Utah Beach.
The monument was initially inaugurated on November 11, 1944 by Colonel Caffey, the brigade’s commanding officer, then inaugurated “officially” together with the French authorities on June 6, 1945.
This monument was built through donations, and is located in front of the Museum’s entrance.
The Monument honors all the men of the 4th Infantry Division who fought in the Second World War.
The monument was inaugurated on June 6, 1964 by General Bradley, commanding officer of the 1st U.S. Army at UTAH and OMAHA in 1944.
The monument is constructed of granite from Flossenbürg, a German concentration camp in Bavaria liberated by the Division near the end of the war : a symbolic bridge between D-Day and the last days of the war in Europe.
The Monument honors the perseverance of the men of the Division.
The Monument was initially dedicated in 1969 then again in 1987 after its renovation.
Built by the Naval Order, the US Navy Monument is the only monument dedicated to the US Navy outside the United States. American sculptor Steven Spears created a monument with three powerful symbols: leadership, sailors, and combat units. The names of the American ship that took part in Operation Overlord are inscribed on the base so that visitors, and especially families of veterans and their children can touch the names of their fathers’ or grandfathers’ boats.
Facing the sea, the Monument was inaugurated on September 27, 2008
This Monument honors the men of Easy Company of the 101st Airborne Division. It is located at Brécourt (outside the town of Sainte Marie du Mont), site of the first battle won by US troops on the morning of June 6, 1944.
This battle was made famous by the Stephen Ambrose book and HBO miniseries “Band of Brothers.”
The monument was dedicated by the veterans of Easy Company and the president of their association Herb Suerth on June 18, 2008.
This monument is voluntarily located a few hundred yards from Utah Beach, as it pays homage to the 800 Danish sailors who, although they did not land on the beaches, contributed greatly to the success of the D-Day landings.
It is the only monument in France that honors the Danish contribution to the liberation of Europe.
The monument is situated on the D913, between Utah Beach and Sainte Marie du Mont.